Did Your Loved One Suffer a Fall and Was Injured As a Result? Call Our Attorneys
Nursing home residents often suffer from conditions that might cause them to fall—osteoporosis; arthritis; joint replacement; dizziness; or deteriorating joints, muscles, and bones. Nursing homes should be aware of those conditions and take steps to prevent falls.
Was the fall that injured a loved one unavoidable or could it have been prevented with better care? At the Snyder & Wenner, P.C. law firm, our Arizona medical malpractice attorneys investigate serious injuries and wrongful deaths that result from nursing home falls. When we find negligence, we hold the responsible parties accountable.
Nursing homes are required by law to provide adequate supervision and appropriate devices to prevent dangerous falls. Fall injuries, especially among older people, can be serious; some serious falls cause wrongful death.
There are many reasons why a nursing home patient might fall, including problems caused by inadequate staffing, poor staff training, lack of attention to cleaning, or inadequate safety devices.
- Clutter on floors that can cause tripping
- Poor lighting
- Wet floors
- Poorly maintained wheelchairs
- Lack of bedrails or assistive rails in hallways or restrooms
- Difficulty in helping patients to the restroom
- Failure to respond quickly to calls
- Failure to provide adequate supervision
- Reliance on poorly trained staff
- Malnutrition or dehydration
- Over-medication, under-medication, or inappropriate medication
- Unsecured doors and windows
If you observe any of these conditions or other signs of nursing home abuse or neglect on your visits to a nursing home, report them to management. If the problems are not dealt with, report them to the licensing authority. If the conditions cause a fall and serious injuries, contact a nursing home neglect lawyer.
You should be able to trust a nursing home to maintain a safe environment and provide adequate staff. When a loved one suffers serious injuries, talk to our law firm about what you can do.